University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
Under general pharmacist supervision, coordinates and performs as necessary the technical activities of dispensing areas. Under general supervision of technician supervisor, carries out activities supportive of development, coordination, and training of assigned areas. Provides functional supervision as required.
MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
1. High school graduation including a general mathematics course, or the equivalent.
2. Ability to type a minimum speed of 15 net words per minute.
3. a. Two years of experience in a position directly related to the natural sciences, or
b. Two years post high school education in the natural sciences or related area, or
c. A combination of related experience and related post high school education to equal two years.
4. National certification as a certified pharmacy technician by a National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) accredited pharmacy technician certification program and examination is required. Must meet ongoing education requirements and maintain certification.
5. An exception to the certification requirement is available to pharmacy interns who maintain registration as a pharmacy intern (per Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 3, Pharmacy Technicians, Section 3.3) and have six months of experience as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee.
Note: Per Board of Pharmacy Regulations (Iowa Administrative Code -- 657-Chapter 3, Pharmacy Technicians):
1. A pharmacy technician must register with the Board of Pharmacy within 30 days of employment.
2. Effective July 1, 2009, all pharmacy technicians must be certified by July 1, 2010.
Prefer: ability to perform ratio/proportion equations, experience in a retail pharmacy setting, experience with inventory maintenance activities, experience working in team a environment, experience working in a detail-oriented work environment, knowledge of windows based computer programs, experience working in healthcare with one-on-one patient interaction & experience handling challenging interactions in the work environment. Prefer National Career Readiness Certificate at Silver Level.